Target OS is Ubuntu 16.04, or 18.04?

According to the docs, “The recommended Libretime server platform is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus).”

Should we be recommending the current Ubuntu LTS (18.04), or is there a reason to prefer 16.04?

I’m updating the docs and would like to present the most up to date info.

Thanks!

3.0.0-alpha.7 is most likely going to be the first release to support Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) without the need for a downgraded php.

The 3.0.0-alpha.7 release should be ready soon.

Thank you. That’s great!

Should I go ahead and change the installation docs to recommend 18.04?

Also, for those of us on Ubuntu 16.04, is there any compelling reason to update to 18.04 after alpha 7 comes out?

The php update is pretty major and should help with speed issues in some places There are also some updated silan packages and more updates to various audio packages (ie. mutagen).

Depends on how leading edge we want the docs to be, given that 80.04 has been available for a while now and LibreTime is alpha software, changing the recommended version to 18.04 makes sense once alpha.7 is released.

Do you have an idea when 3.0.0-alpha.7 release will be available ?
We plan to migrate our old automatisation system to Libretime next weeks/months, so, I wonder if I install 3.0.0-alpha.6 on Ubuntu 16.04 or wait a few weeks for alpha.7 to use a more recent OS.

NB : I tried also Debian 9 (Stretch) with success beginning 2019, but now (I assume since february 16th (9.8), upload files fails with following error
2019-02-20 22:13:48,710 [playability_analyzer] [WARNI] Command ‘[‘liquidsoap’, ‘-v’, ‘-c’, ‘output.dummy(audio_to_stereo(single(argv(1))))’, ‘–’, u’/srv/airtime/stor/organize/08-sebastien_tellier-mauer.mp3’]’ returned non-zero exit status -4
2019-02-20 22:13:48,710 [analyzer_pipeline] [ERROR]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/airtime_analyzer-0.1-py2.7.egg/airtime_analyzer/analyzer_pipeline.py”, line 69, in run_analysis
metadata = PlayabilityAnalyzer.analyze(audio_file_path, metadata)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/airtime_analyzer-0.1-py2.7.egg/airtime_analyzer/playability_analyzer.py”, line 30, in analyze
raise UnplayableFileError()

So I plan to switch to Ubuntu.

Many thanks

the current master branch on github is running fine on 18.04
i have installed two instances without problems

Unfortunately, with Ubuntu 18.04, installer (whether release 3.0.0-alpha.6 or current master branch (git clone) is used) fails with rabbit MQ as follows :

* Configuring RabbitMQ *

Error: unable to connect to node rabbit@altlibretime: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS

attempted to contact: [rabbit@altlibretime]

rabbit@altlibretime:

• unable to connect to epmd (port 4369) on altlibretime: timeout (timed out)

current node details:

• node name: ‘rabbitmq-cli-42@altlibretime’
  • home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
  • cookie hash: nDV4QZJp8ruZftGimZwtZQ==

Error: unable to connect to node rabbit@altlibretime: nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS

attempted to contact: [rabbit@altlibretime]

rabbit@altlibretime:

• unable to connect to epmd (port 4369) on altlibretime: timeout (timed out)

current node details:

• node name: ‘rabbitmq-cli-23@altlibretime’
  • home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
  • cookie hash: nDV4QZJp8ruZftGimZwtZQ==

This issue does not occur on Ubuntu 16.04.

This issue with rabbitmq is new and isn’t occuring for my test instances of 18.04. I suspect that something else is happening. Perhaps you want to open up a new bug report on the github to detail your install.

On the otherhand there could still be bugs in the code related to the new type errors that PHP 7.1 & 7.2 have introduced and thus Ubuntu 16.04 is proabably the safest, just make sure you upgrade Silan.