Monthly schedule clashes with weekly

I schedule an auto filling block of music to run every Tuesday (for example), but if someone wants a monthly show on the first Tuesday, I can’t “un-schedule” the weekly block just for that one day of the month. The only way I can see to do this might be to have a “1st Tues” “2nd Tues” “3rd Tues” block, but then we may end up having to do that for everyday. (and what about the months with 5 Tuesday?)

Am I missing something obvious here? I’ve been trying to think of a neat way to do this, but it all boils down to being able to play an “AutoDJ” in between scheduled shows.

This is true. The calendar and repeating shows could be more nuanced but it’d take someone to program it.

We have exactly that problem. I’ve dealt with it in two ways:

1. One programmer has a show on the first Tuesday of the month from 10:30pm to 11:30pm. Another programmer has shows all the other Tuesdays from 10:00pm to 11:00pm. I’ve put that show in the schedule as four shows, all with the same title, description, &c, to air on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th week of the month. Happily LibreTime has that 5th week.

Also, we’ve created an additional 30 minute autoplay show at 10:00pm on the first Tuesday, and four more 30 minute autoplay shows to air at 11:00pm all the other weeks.

1. I’ve scheduled a music show to air every Monday at Noon, then gone through the calendar a few months in advance to delete one instance of the music show on the first Monday of the month, and finally added a news show to air at Noon on the 1st Monday, with an end date for the last date on which I deleted the music show.

I see from the Analytics screen that each of the multiple Tuesday shows is actually a separate show in the database. It would be great to have those show records available in the scheduling calendar, we could just pick an existing show (with title, description, autoplay playlist, “Who” users, and style data all pre-filled), then only update the “When” info. That would reduce a lot of duplication (we also repeat some shows on different days of the week), and reduce the editing when a change needs to be made to a show that appears in multiple places on the schedule. But that probably requires a significant change in the database schema and scheduling logic. So, I only put it out here as an idea. If others think that’s a good idea I can make a proper feature request. I really do want to make actual contributions to the code, not just suggestions!

–Bob.

I think this would be fixed fairly easily by creating some sort of default playlist function, such that if there is no show scheduled then LT goes off and just plays shows or tracks or whatever from the library.
Sadly I don’t have any coding skills to offer, so it’s just going to be ideas from me.