LibreTime Demo site

Possibly we could include LibreTime radio in a beta?

I like the idea of a team-managed instance, but it performs a different function to a demo site. The demo allows potential users to try out LT so that they can evaluate if it works for what they need. A team-managed stream doesn’t allow this, rather it just demonstrates that the team has good tastes in music :slight_smile:

I have space/resources in a server and I can set it up there. All I would need afterwards would to have demo.libretime.org pointed there I guess.

I would like it to be a Debian 10 vps (I’m currently running 5 LT instances on that setup), but I’m fine with any.

1 Like

@k054 that would be great if you’re open to running that. The thing I’m concerned with is how to reset the instance regularly to some known base state. That way users can test, but there are no lasting changes that could cause issues

I think we can just create some demo content and cat demo-condent.sql | mysql libretime to restore it via cronjob once a week or something.

Would it make sense to see if Digital Ocean could provide a similar setup like they do for AzuraCast? https://docs.azuracast.com/en/home#friends-of-azuracast

There may some additional marketing/partnership benefits if we went that route. I believe setup and maintenance could still be a separate expense whoever is doing it could be reimbursed for (if needed). Seems like that would be one of the more straightforward costs in OpenCollective Spending Proposal - #13 by paddatrapper

1 Like

I really don’t mind where it’s hosted but I don’t have the time/energy to figure out what does it take for DO to provide that, and I know I can deploy a vm in our server in less than a minute (we have a fai server for that).

If you want to reach DO and ask I’m perfectly fine. All we would need is ssh access and root privileges.

1 Like

I’m asking around just to see what Digital Ocean might be able to provide to projects using Open Source Collective as their fiscal host/sponsor.

I’m sure the decision-makers are totally good w/ you hosting on your server if that’s easier. Seems like sponsor credit would be a good way to reciprocate on top of reimbursement for associated costs.

1 Like

FWIW I’m having some asynchronous conversation with the head of product at Open Collective about leveraging their nonprofit entity (which in turn is LibreTime’s entity) for free tiers and discounts.

We’re agreeing that a project like LibreTime could list Open Source Collective 501c6 in their application (if needed) and they wouldn’t really need to go beyond that…like brokering special deals on behalf of the 2500+ that use them for fiscal sponsorship.

The problem is it takes a lot of time for a project like LibreTime to just search around for vendors offering free tiers and discounts.

The solution would be if OpenCollective provided a searchable marketplace where projects tapped for resources (like LibreTime) could find what they need.

Again this wouldn’t be relevant if @k054 is providing the demo site (we just need to make sure the Governance and spending policy covers all associated costs.

It could be if LibreTime would like additional tools like the ones AzuraCast is using.

1 Like

I don’t have an objection, but I do have a concern.

Arranging to have a LibreTime demo setup on AWS (Amazon Web Services) would be convenient, however Amazon, like other big data companies, have a history of censorship. If the LibreTime community invest time and skills in setting up an instance, it should be platform independent. The skills LibreTime learn and teach should be applicable to any platfrom, rather than specific to one.

Ghost is Free Software, and has an option for custom applications. That might be one possibility:

We could just accept @k054’s kind offer. Looks like there could be enough funds to cover the setup and ongoing hosting cost LibreTime - Open Collective

1 Like

I did, just waiting on things to happen

1 Like

Hello, k054! It would be great if you helped LibreTime setup a demo website. What is the latest on this? Did you receive any assistance?

This issue was started in January 2018. It is now nearly January 2022 and LibreTime is without a demo.

Supporting LibreTime on Cloudron would be a fantastic way to have a demo, as the Cloudron team would likely host it and make most of the functionality available for trial. In addition, supporting LibreTime on Cloudron would mean deployment of LibreTime would be as easy as one-click. (So would upgrades!)

If anybody has the skills to make this happen, I hope you try. A lot more people would be able to see what LibreTime is like and be able to use it.

Happy Birthday Request! :party:

It is 4 years today since the initial request for a LibreTime demo site. Will we have a nice surprise birthday present, like a LibreTime Docker image for Cloudron?
:birthday:

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what’s prevented this from happening. If it’s a funding issue, possibly @k054 or anyone else still able/interested in providing (or helping set up) could read over the LibreTime Spending Policy and file the appropriate Github issue.

1 Like

As far as I can see, it is quite difficult to create a Docker image for LibreTime. @paddatrapper is trying to produce one. Once that has been accomplished, we will hopefully then be able to support LibreTime on Cloudron. Cloudron would then have a demo, as happens with all Cloudron applications.

The length of this whole process makes me wonder if there are just too few developers working on LibreTime for it to be considered a viable tool. If @paddatrapper ever dropped out of the picture, I have a feeling that the whole project would grind to a halt.

Anyway, lets hope there is a Docker and Cloudron soon!

The difficulty in making the docker image work mainly comes from the fact that the software has been edited by many different contributors without having a global architecture guidance to allow to run in isolated environment. This means a lot of code needs to be updated before this can take place.

With regards to the Demo, we don’t necessarily need to rely on the docker images.
You can follow the different related issues on Github to know where it is heading:

1 Like

Does that explain the technical reason we couldn’t see if a company like Digitial Ocean would sponsor hosting resources (like they’ve done for projects like AzuraCast)?

1 Like