PowerPress Taxonomy feed rejected as "invalid podcast" in LibreTime

Hi everyone,

I’m working on trying to use the Podcast feature of LibreTime to set up SmartBlocks that publish the last show in a feed into a timeslot.

I’ve tested the Taxonomy feed I set up from PowerPress, which is here:

http://new.dancegruv.net/podcastfilter/avlhms/feed/

But it returns, “Invalid Podcast.”

I tested another feed on another website I control here:

https://netmix.com/category/podcast/feed/

This feed is validated and accepted by LibreTime.

I don’t know why the first feed isn’t accepted by LibreTime.

When I tried to validate the first feed from DanceGruv, it said it’s missing enclosures. Is that correct? How to fix?

UPDATE #1: I went back to see why there were no enclosures and it seems that PowerPress hadn’t inserted the enclosure .mp3. I fixed that and then tried to add the feed again to LibreTime and it still returns Invalid Podcast.

Also, does the feed need to have https enabled?

UPDATE #2: I checked with PowerPress and they validated the feed and subscribed to it with iTunes, so the feed is a valid feed and can be subscribed to using iTunes as the subscription service… But LibreTime is saying it’s an “Invalid Podcast.” Why is that?

I’m hoping to get a response here as to why a PowerPress taxonomy feed that validates everywhere is being kicked back by LibreTime as Invalid Podcast. I’ve added it to Feedly and it works fine. I got PowerPress to review it and they said it validates. Why it doesn’t work with LibreTime, I don’t know.

I also don’t know why LibreTime is rejecting it. It is happening before the feed is added to the system. So it is throwing the ‘InvalidPodcastException’ - but I am not seeing an error - check your /var/log/airtime/zendphp.log to see if it has anything regarding what triggered this exception. At some point either SimplePie or another part of the initial script that determines a podcast is “valid” is balking. I don’t know why so we will need to step through the code to determine at what point this exception is being triggered.

Okay, well, I burned the feed with Feedburner then submitted it again into LibreTime. That was accepted. So, yes, somewhere in the feed XML is a hiccup that is preventing LibreTime from accepting the Taxonomy feed from PowerPress. I did add the PowerPress feed URL to iTunes as well and iTunes accepted it too.

I found thousands of lines exactly like this:

2019-08-09T06:25:10+00:00 INFO (6): 68.183.123.70 Checking autoplaylist poll
2019-08-09T06:25:10+00:00 INFO (6): 68.183.123.70 Checking to run Auto Playlist

I found one set of errors which I have copied and pasted here. Not sure if they relate to me adding the feed and having it come back as invalid.

2019-08-12T12:23:59+00:00 WARN (4): 68.183.123.70 SQLSTATE[55P03]: Lock not available: 7 ERROR: could not obtain lock on row in relation “cc_pref”
2019-08-12T12:23:59+00:00 WARN (4): 68.183.123.70 SQLSTATE[55P03]: Lock not available: 7 ERROR: could not obtain lock on row in relation “cc_pref”

Yeah those errors are unrelated. I think I finally got rid of the checking autoplaylist poll log in a recent commit, but it isn’t an error. I am not 100% sure what causes the cc_pref error but it isn’t related to the playlist. It’d be good to dig into what exactly is causing the powerpress incompatibility but it wasn’t obvious to me.

Well, I can use Feedburner to burn the feed and then pass that into the Podcast feature and it works fine. So, I’ll go with that for now. I know that there’s been some rumor about Feedburner going away, but I just read an article that talks about how Feedburner is like plumbing on the web and if that goes, it will disrupt a huge number of sites using Feedburner for not just podcasts, but for other reasons, as well.

So, now that I’ve got that working, I’m pretty excited about my patch work efforts here to push Podcasts in WordPress into LibreTime.

My next question is related to Show > Smart Block > Podcast

I created the Podcast, see screenshot.

But, I had to click the right arrow to get to the next screen, so that it could be dragged over into the SmartBlock for the Show.

Now you can see that file under the SmartBlock. Is this correct?

But what about when the follow-up Podcast for the next show is added to PowerPress and then into the feed. How does it then get passed automatically into the Show’s Smart Block?

We want to be able to make sure when the next Podcast is uploaded into OnAir2 via PowerPress and into the feed, that it is the next available show in the Show Calendar for the following weeks. We don’t want to have to go into LibreTime and move the file ourselves each week. That defeats the whole purpose of automation.

@robbt Sorry, I’m following the tutorial again. I think I got it wrong the first time and am redoing it. Please disregard the above.

@robbt I have the Feedburner feed added to Podcast, which following the tutorial, did spur the creation of the Smart Block and the Playlist. I added the Playlist to the show. But when I uploaded a second podcast file to OnAir2 and PowerPress, the second show DID populate in the Podcast section of LibreTime, but the show played the previously uploaded file and not the file uploaded after.

Could that be because the first instance of the show will always play the first file available in the Podcast feed?

The Smartblock that is created by default will select the “newest” file. This typically means the one that was downloaded most recently. You can preview the smartblock and see what episode it is selecting etc. If you changed the name of the podcast, you will need to generate a new smartblock and playlist or manually alter it to match the new podcast name.

I didn’t change the name of the Podcast itself, but the title of each episode is AVHMLS Episode 1, AVLHMS Episode 2, etc.

I’ll go back and delete everything to reset and then create a new Podcast, SmartBlock and Playlist and assign it to a Show.

BTW, if you want to remove a show because you’re testing, it seems like the Show never disappears from the Calendar, even though you tried to delete it.